Wednesday, May 27, 2009

underpainting for deer grazing painting



I was walking through the field at dusk.The deer were grazing, unafraid of my presence. The land was theirs and there was nothing to fear. The light glowed through the trees creating a feeling of pure mystery. Here is the pencil sketch I made. Upon returning home I created the watercolor underpainting. Right now I am preparing a big marble dust board. I am eager to begin fresh tomorrow morning. First I will finish the study, then underpaint the board.

6 comments:

Donna T said...

What a beautiful scene that must have been! Thanks for showing your sketch and underpainting. I just love seeing what inspires you and how your written notes describe the secene and your feelings so much better than a photo.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Donna. It's funny, I wondered whether folks would find that interesting. It's good to know it worked for you. Dusk is a magical time and all those quiet deer...oooh!

Jala Pfaff said...

Okay, I'm seriously blushing from all the praise you just gave me! [blush blush]

LOVE this underpainting...

loriann signori said...

You deserve it Jala..thanks about the underpainting!

Karen said...

I must admit I'm most intrigued by your notes...I enlarged the image so I could read them. hee hee.

loriann signori said...

Peek away at my notes Karen....if you had yours on your blog I confess I would do the same.:-) Can you actually read my crazy writing?