Sunday, February 1, 2009

Secrets by the Reservoir


11 x13.5 pastel and watercolor on Uart paper
Yesterday I drove by the reservoir in the the late afternoon. With no time to paint I quickly took a photo and recorded my observations. At this point I know the reservoir intimately so I did not open the photo till the last 15 minutes of my work on this painting.
The studio can be so freeing because it's much easier (for me) to move the land masses and light to create a painting. Success? Not really, but I am full of ideas for what is next.
On another note, today I used the Diane Townsend Terrages on Uart paper. I still love them and their grittiness, but realize they are best for big works. I think I will check out her thin lines collection. I think they are the same substance.

4 comments:

Donna T said...

Thanks for showing your photo, Loriann. It amazes me to see how you turned that view into such a vibrant painting. That is such a gift - to be able to take what you need and ignore the rest!

Jala Pfaff said...

Love those orange colors!

loriann signori said...

Hi Donna,
Thanks for your comment. One very helpful thing is that I know the reservoir so I can just play with color. Wheeeeee! I don't need to think about drawing in the same way.
Happy painting!

loriann signori said...

Jala-
Orange is that the color of the gods?
Good stuff.-Loriann