Saturday, February 28, 2009

View from Chain Bridge

6 x9 pastel and watercolor on marble dust board
Today I spent the day visiting the museums. In particular I went downtown to see 3 Sanford Gifford works and Thomas Moran's big works at the Renwick. It was Thomas Moran's work that struck me. Talk about AMAZING space!!!!! Inspired by his Yellowstone painting I took out one of my own river paintings from this summer and started planning a new big one. I'll post sketches and preparatory work tomorrow. I was surprised by one more thing. This time I went up to the Luce Center in the American Art Museum. It is like a display/storage room and there was this little treasure by Sanford Gifford. I am guessing that it was a study done on location. It was only about 2.5"x 5"! I can seem to get it to attach...sorry.
More exciting stuff tomorrow as I plan!!!

4 comments:

Jala Pfaff said...

Wow, your color work here is great. Very varied, very rich, sophisticated. Love it.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Jala. While it snows outside I dive into a painting from the deepest part of summer. How ironic!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Loriann, You were mentioned in Making a Mark. Awesome! http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2009/03/1st-march-2009-whos-made-mark-this-week.html

loriann signori said...

Cool Janelle! Thanks for letting me know! I'll go look now.