Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Another Underpainting, Ding Darling Refuge

8x10 oil underpainting on canvas
I decided to try to simply on this underpainting. Use less color work in a subtractive method. This is mostly burnt sienna, Liquin and a tiny bit of indanthrone blue. I covered the canvas with burnt sienna and wiped, brushed and Q-tipped. As a pastel artist I am accustomed to working from dark to light, but with an opening to change my mind.. My understanding of this process is that if I have a dark down and later, when glazing I want it to be lighter, tough luck. I guess I will see soon enough. Value is what it is all about at this point.

9 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Loriann, I love how you just go for it! I can't wait to see how this class influences your already beautiful paintings. I'm learning a lot from your questions. I have a very nifty notebook with sheet protectors of everything from the class. I'm learning tons.

Loriann Signori said...

Hi Janelle,
Yeah, the class has really opened up a new way of thinking for me too. I can't wait to use color! L

Carrrie Jacobson said...

Wow, Loriann, this is lovely! I really like your usual colors, but this is surprisingly calming and gentle and entrancing. Nice.

Jala Pfaff said...

Awesome.

Karen said...

I've been doing something like this lately...putting in a middle value wash, adding darks, subtracting lights. I find it helps me organize the value pattern of the whole painting right from the start. I love reading about this class. cool!

Loriann Signori said...

Thanks Carrie...I almost feel naked without my colors!

Loriann Signori said...

Thanks Jala!

Loriann Signori said...

Karen,
Have you posted any of your underpaintings? I would love to see them.
L

Karen said...

Hi Loriann, I haven't posted any yet, but when I get back and am more on top of things, I will for sure. Thanks for asking.