Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Color Study for "Confluence"




about 5x7 pastel and oil on marble dust board
I tried hard to stick to my analogous color theme and to vary my color within a value. Unfortunately my photo does not show that well...sorry.
Today's questions and challenges:
1.What is the lightest light? That will help determine many other marks in the painting .
2.The sky sets the tone, but how does it tie in with the landscape?
3.Where are the highest contrasts? Sharpest edges? It should be the focal point.

When stuck I do another black and white sketch, this time it is of the painting....Are my values working? What do I need to accent? Bring back?
That is when I lightened the value on the mass (on the left) and made it more blue.

I think it's now time to go to this composition on a bigger scale. Everything is easier small. One tiny mark says a lot. Bigger is a whole new thing! More later.

Golden Rule: Suggest rather than command.

6 comments:

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi Loriann, this small painting has the feeling a very big piece. Now how did you do that???

loriann signori said...

Hi Susan..I wish I knew how?????! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

beautiful work! will be back for more :D

carrie jacobson said...

Loriann, this is lovely. You asked for ideas, so here goes: I think I would make the background mountains a little dustier a shade of blue, something with more dark gray in it. "Lower" is the way I'd think of it. I would also try adding a light buttery creamy yellow to the very center of the lovely iridescent pink water, something to make the shine pulse there a little more. I have no idea whether these things would work, but they are moves I'd try.

loriann signori said...

Hi D, Thanks for visiting my blog! See you soon.

loriann signori said...

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for your input. I was thinking similarly about increasing the yellow in the water. Maybe the next one as pulsing color was my intent. Back to the studio. :-)