Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mozart Moment/Sanibel



10 x10 pastel on oil underpainting

underpainting
photo reference

A dramatic sunrise can easily cross over to tacky, right? With this in the back of my mind as a "NO, don't do that" I decided try. Still working from my Sanibel experience I began in my version of a tonalist-type method. I underpainted in one color. It seems work as a unifier for me. Next, I pre-selected my palette (and stuck to it!). The palette was similar to yesterday's but I decided to have a nuetral violet be dominant so that the orange would pop. (Sorry the photo is a little washed out)
Now, I need to glaze more of the oil studies, then out to the river for a sunset painting.

4 comments:

TSL said...

really nice - I am drawn to this one and the one directly beneath

Anonymous said...

I can hear the music! The movement in the waves are very compelling. Elly

loriann signori said...

Thanks TSL!

loriann signori said...

Thanks you Elly. Mozart music was playing as I painting so I thank him for inspiration!