Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tonalist underpaintings

tonal underpainting, 5x7 oil on gesso board
tonal underpainting, 3.25x7 oil on gesso board
tonal underpainting, 6x8 oil on raymar canvas panel
I am taking Deborah Paris' online Painting the Luminous Landscape course. I have always admired her work and have wished to take a course with her. She is a tonalist and when she works she does an underpainting in transparent colors like shale and burnt sienna. My tendency is to do a watercolor underpainting in intense colors.. so I am researching and experimenting something new. Even my cat Kins (the studio muse) looked at me as if to say," What no magenta?"
The course itself is really cool. We post work on a site and Deborah or other classmates comment. Deborah is great. It was only been 3 days and she has posted demos, given reading lists, lots of comments and other goodies. You will see my struggle posted on here for the next month...here we go.

Feel free to comment and critique friends!

9 comments:

Gretchen Kelly said...

Wow- these look so beautiful the way the are now. If they were mine I would stop here and stare at them for a few days before going over them with more detail. But this is a comment from a gestural figure painter that rarely works on a piece for more than 45 mins....
GK

Jala Pfaff said...

These look really cool. I like them even as is. Are they oil? And will you be putting more oil on top, or pastel, or...?
How funny, I was thinking the other day I might like to one day do one of those Deborah Paris online courses. I'm glad I'll be able to sort of be taking it vicariously through you!

loriann signori said...

Thanks Gretchen and Jala. It was weird cuz it really felt like I was doing a monoprint. I will let them sit till they dry and then start to add glazes in oil. (These are oil as well)I hope not to get too detailed, instead more luminous...we'll see. I am seeing how far I can stretch.

Marian Fortunati said...

What an interesting idea!...
This is cool... I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about more of what you are doing in this class.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Marion. Check back. I'll keep sharing.

Karen said...

How cool to try something so different! I really look forward to seeing the work that comes out of these experiments. Let us know if/how it changes your thoughts/the way you think about your process.

loriann signori said...

Karen, I will record my process and thoughts here. You, of course can feel free to ask questions or contact me directly. I am simply thrilled to have this opportunity to learn from Deborah. The idea of varying the layer of pain the increase the luminousity is very intriguing. More later!

Jala Pfaff said...

AWESOME TYPO!!!! Your previous comment says "...varying the layer of pain" :D

loriann signori said...

Jala.......Freudian slip?