Saturday, June 6, 2009

Daybreak thru Fog

8x10 pastel and watercolor on Uart paper
This morning was the Riverbend Plein Air event . It finally stopped raining after 3 days of rain. The river was full and muddy. The light was quiet. I began about 6:00 am and after much deliberation headed out to one of my favorite spots. It was actually so muddy beside the river that it was slippery.
I made tiny strokes of warm and cool colors sparkle together at the tip of the island, while large swaths of color stretch acroos the mass of trees and water. One area holds all the mystery. I liked it .....the judge didn't.....oh well. Next time.
This is the best photo I could get on the spot...sorry.

5 comments:

Donna T said...

I like this so much, Loriann. It looks very much like a river that has had its share of rain. You captured the misty, early morning look perfectly - those colors don't exist later in the day. I hope you're not too bummed about one person's opinion.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Donna for your encouragement. I have already returned to the easel! I guess I am not easily discouraged ...just more determined. :-)

NJ ART 73 said...

Hi Loriann,
This painting has a nice sense of place-beautiful reflections on the water. As for the judge-did he or she make any comments as to why ? Anyway it doesn't matter what the judge thinks what is important is to be involved . You posted that you began at 6:oo am -you are definitely an Impressionist !

"No statue has ever been put up to a critic"- Jean Sibelius

Karen said...

Your description of/reaction to the judging made me laugh. I like it. I'd be curious also if he/she had any comments.

Any I think it does exactly what it seems you wanted it to. And I especially like those trees, that hint of green, way back in the distance.

loriann signori said...

Thanks NJ and Karen!
No...no comments from the judge. Regardless I still like it and I am a very hard judge to pass (as we all are about our own work.) Upon completing each painting I analyze it ...Did I reach my goal? Is there color harmony? Does it direct the eye around and draw to the focal point? And the hardest..does it evoke a feeling? Tough criteria.