Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Between

12x9 pastel on Uart
When beginning a painting your choice of format is your first statement. Square, rectangle, elongated rectangle, vertical or horizontal... which is your pleasure? Each has their very specific purpose. In choosing a vertical rectangle I wanted a more dramatic format with a push into the picture.
Think about your format choices....
Once again this brings me back to notans. Doing tiny notans in different formats not only helps your composition but it also stretches you to see other possibilities. I did a square, long rectangle and vertical before deciding.

4 comments:

Brenda Boylan said...

Nice! Such a beautiful piece, Loriann.
Notans! I forgot to do my notans!

loriann signori said...

Thanks Brenda! Those notans rule. Now let me go check what you have been doing.

Anonymous said...

Nice. I love pastels and am really drawn in here by the sense of reflections on the calm water.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Donald!