Sunday, May 23, 2010

cumberland

about 7x10 pastel on Uart (no underpainting too wet outside)
The Maryland Mountain Plein Air Festival is right around the corner so I knew I needed to go scout out the area. I prefer not to go in "cold" to an event. I need time to wrap my mind around the possible landscape. I spent the morning driving around the county then called the organizer, Kelly Moran. She graciously invited me on a personal tour of the best places to paint. I not only saw the best places, met people, learned a lot of the history of the area, but also spent time with the witty dynamo - Kelly. Lots of fun!
By the time I was back to my hotel it was pouring...but should that stop me from painting? Nope. Good thing my shadebuddy covers my whole easel (but not me)...pastels hate rain.
I thought about what WK said on Friday. So when I began this painting of Cumberland in the rain and fog I began with what probably was an area of trees-left center, instead of the bridge or buildings. It was a total struggle, till it whispered to me.


More new WK tidbits tomorrow when I return home.

6 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

I am fascinated how this fits your ouvre so well, and yet is a new subject. Not to mention a new locale.

Well done. Good luck at the festival and I hang on to see the story. The only local one I want to go to is a schedule breaker, so I'll have to enjoy vicariously through live blogs such as this!

Brian McGurgan said...

Beautiful work, Loriann - lovely colors and forms.

Double "D" said...

Wow!
You should call this Compliments, side by side, up and down, in and out and all around. Beautiful B!

I can see your hand buzzing around, popping colors over here, a little over there, moving, moving, moving. It would have been fun to watch you work your way through this painting. Would have been great to see the look on your face when it "whispered"
to you.

As always, you're an amazing icon of inspiration!
PB

Peter Tudhope said...

It may have been a struggle but a very successful outcome. You seem to have pushed the abstract element as far as it can go without leaving the description on what you are painting. Perhaps a new avenue for your work to meander down :))Good luck by the way!

Jala Pfaff said...

Nice color, subtleties.
I don't know how you manage to not get any of your pastel(s) wet when painting in the rain! even under an umbrella.

loriann signori said...

Hi Casey,
It really was a struggle. I am delighted that it doesn't seem "out of place." I am stretching.

Hi Brian and thank you!

Hey PB, It was a mess for a very long time. I am glad I persevered ...I almost didn't with the rain and frustration.
Icon of inspiration? I don't think so....but I will keep working.

Hi Peter and welcome to my blog! Fog/rain is one of those elements that can help see the abstract elements and not get lost in the details. Who knows where it will lead? Thanks for the well wishes!

Hi Jala, it's the shadebuddy..it's BIG.....only I get wet!