Sunday, July 18, 2010

silver fog/studio painting

18x18 pastel and watercolor on mounted wallis
Another studio piece. This time the concept was a slivery fog with a hint of sunlight, that moment before the fog begins to lift. Hope.
To keep me away from my usual choices of color I pre-selected my palette. It consisted of analogous colors:blue-purple, purple,  and red-purple. The complement, neutralized was green.....bits of discord colors- orange and a blue green were added at the very end. Today is the last day of the workshop. Once again I have learned soooo much!

6 comments:

Double "D" said...

Hi B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great example of underpainting
and refining pastel. Your color choices
always work so well together.

It's interesting, this tree has a strange
look of a former "Big Daddy" ummmmm.

Enjoy your remaining time in Washington and
I look forward to your work when you return home.
PB

loriann signori said...

Hi PB!!!!!
Thank you about my color choices. That was a challenging one since it relied on such subtle choices. Funny you should say that it reminds you of "big daddy", I guess it does!i suppose I am attracted to that idea.
b

Jala Pfaff said...

Very very nice.
It actually feels like a fall painting to me: I sense frost on the grass.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Jala! It does feel frosty. The temperature here in the mornings and the thick fog can really make it feel that way.

Caroline Simmill said...

I just love those cool blue tones you have been using lately Loriann. So interesting to read your notes on your workshop, thank you!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Your process of learning and growing is always inspiring. Three underpaintings in a row is a BRILLIANT idea.

This watercolor underpainting looks far removed from the things in the scene and is an abstraction of the mood, which you heightened with the pastel. Somehow, you managed to maintain the magic without too carefully detailing the objects.

Brava!