Friday, July 16, 2010

we make beautiful lies

9x18 pastel and watercolor on Wallis
Yesterday I returned from my field to have a "check-up" from the "doctor." That means I visited Richard for a little mentoring. He looked at my numerous field paintings (I have many others I have not posted...yet) and gave me 3 pieces of advice. I thought about these all night and when I drove to the site I was ready. My field was bathed in fog...WOW!!!! I LOVE this field and I love fog!

Here are the three pieces of advice:
*Remember the 3rd element
*When you examine your painting remember to think about how the movement flows..use your arms to feel it.
* a little more light in the sky at the end, just to add that punch.

I think I did it with this one.  This time I used mounted Wallis. It was an adjustment not to use Chinese White and instead let watercolor be watercolor...but I do like the transparency and the luminosity it provides.

12 comments:

JANE MINTER said...

loriann i love the atmosphere of this ... sounds like a brilliant workshop

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

loriann, this Brilliant. What a great painting depicting atmosphere with wonderful colors. Well done.

Leah said...

I'm so glad you got your two favourites in one place this morning. I can hear the joy in your words and see the satisfaction in your painting.

Donna T said...

Wow, this one has it all! One of your very best!

Casey Klahn said...

Hello, Washington!

brian eppley said...

Great piece Loriann! Sounds like a stellar workshop.

Unknown said...

Bravo Loriann! A beautiful misty piece! Many more to come!

Paul

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm so glad I'm back in internet service so that I can read all about your workshop. Looks like you've taken things to a new level! Congrats!!

Nika said...

Very foggy...I love the dripping wet feeling of the grass! Looks like you're having a breakthrough and are living in an enchanted land:)
Sorry, my mind if foggy, what does "the 3rd element" refer to?

Caroline Simmill said...

The colours are just wonderful, one of your nicest paintings so far. Thank you for sharing your wee journey with us Loriann

loriann signori said...

Hi Jane! Richard's workshop is beautiful. I just have to listen to him for a few hours then my head is full of all those amazing things he says. I feel full and then I disappear to my field to paint. It's as good as it gets.

Hi Joan! Thank you!

Hey Leah!!!!!! You KNOW I love that field! We will have to talk soon, unfortunately I only have my cell and that would be international $$$$$. toodles for now.

Hi Donna, Thank you!

Hi Casey!

Hi Brian! Thank you.You are so right about the workshop!

HEy Paul! I can't believe that you made a comment! Thanks hon!

Hi Katherine!
Glad that you are back too! Are you still traveling and painting through Alaska ?

Hi Nika!
You are right, it is a break through of sorts.
You aren't foggy I will explain the third element in another post, K?

Hi Caroline! I love that word "wee". How was your seaside painting excursion?

Brian McGurgan said...

I'm enjoying catching up on all of your Washington paintings, Loriann, and this one really knocks my socks off (so to speak...). Lovely color, atmosphere, and mystery. Sounds like you are learning lots, too. Enjoy!