|21x21 pastel on Uart|
What do you think about when planning your paintings?
I was considering that the other day when I spoke about dominant value. I thought about it and made a list.
1. concept- why are you painting this?
2. What is the mood you want to create?
3. Where is the focal point?
4. Where are the two supporting characters that lead to the focal point? Remember you may have only one real diva.
5.What kind of light are you painting and where does it originate?
6.What is the dominant value?
7. What is the dominant color?
6. What is the dominant temperature?
Each day I will take one of these ideas and talk a little more in depth. I did number 6 (dominant value) yesterday.
After writing the list I realized that the funniest thing about painting is it requires a lot of thinking...yet the goal we aim for is to let the painting speak and take over, let go of the thinking. I guess it is once again like cooking-you need the ingredients (or reasonable facsimiles) and then you can wing it.