Friday, August 12, 2011

thinking about the science of landscape and its possibilities

plein air pastel 10x14
I continue to do numerous small plein air studies each morning and evening. I also read to understand why I see what I see, better allowing me to work with it and make the changes I want while still creating the illusion of a landscape.  I consider each painting and study the possibilities. In my reading I found  I wanted  a quote from Jacob Collins that I thought I should share.

The interviewer's question:
Studying the science of nature plays a big role in The Hudson River School for Landscape’s curriculum. Why do you feel this knowledge is important to a plein air painter?


"When an artist makes the decision not to rely on photography, they are forced to undertake extensive investigations into the nature of the landscape. Over the last few years I have wrestled with such complicated problems as painting the water or grasping
the nature and appearance of atmosphere. These problems have required delving into subjects such as physics, which, although beyond my usual educational reach, have nonetheless been fascinating and rewarding forays, and I'm sure my work has benefited from the amount of scientific study that I undertook."
Jacob Collins

Read here for a conversation with Jacob Collins.

PS I know it's not Monday...there will be another post then. As I try to find my new blogging rhythm I wonder, will this will blossom to twice weekly post?

11 comments:

Leah said...

I love the stillness of this piece and the water's reflection. For some reason, I'm especially drawn to the way you left whiteness speckling through the colour and the sweet little rocky place peeking up through the water. Being able to see the canvas through the painting reminds me where this beautiful painting began and of course reminds me of you.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Leah, it's always so good to hear from you.Stillness is just the idea I was trying to create.

Donna T said...

Hi Loriann, this is a jaw-dropper! Stillness and beauty, what a combination. I always enjoy reading your posts no matter how often you share them with us.

SamArtDog said...

I feel like my optometrist is the only one who can appreciate a view as clear as I sometimes paint. Why do I do it, when I know perfectly well that visual perfection makes my teeth hurt?

Your study of atmospherics reminds me that perhaps we DO need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Casey Klahn said...

It is a lovely place. The color in the water reminds me of La Conner.

The Collins quote is also a reminder of why the artist needs a liberal arts education - to know a littler bit of science and physics. You can name a long list of disciplines to know, and I especially like history.

Deborah Elmquist said...

As always, your landscapes reflect more than just a scene. You capture light, air, and the essence of the land. Collins' quote is a truth all painters need to embrace. We can't rely just on how we think we see. Love all your work.

loriann signori said...

Hi Donna, How is upstate New York? You are finally there! Yay! Thanks about this painting!

Hi Sam!
You always make me laugh and think sideways.While I am no weatherman I am studying my types of clouds and their meanings.Love the work you have been doing!

Hi Casey,
Ah, La Conner, a place near and dear to my heart. This one is at Needwood, the lake about 7 miles from my home.
Knowledge is understanding and power. The more we know the more we want to know. Paint on!

Anonymous said...

Hi Loriann,
This 10 x 14 painting is a stunner. Your use of color and spatial organization is excellent.I like how work out the relationships between the colors. There is a wonderful feeling of calm- looking at this painting I feel that I am at a place in which I feel that everything is alright. The Jacob Collins interview was most interesting. One of the best aspects of painting is that there is always something new to learn & discover. Have a great weekend.

NJ ART 73

Janelle Goodwin said...

Just reading your blog postings always makes me happy. Your work just keeps evolving in wonderful ways, Loriann.

loriann signori said...

Hi Deborah, Thank you for you very nice comment. I just noticed it because you wrote it and I replied to others at the exact same time. Since I am not a still life painter, I would love to hear your thoughts on the science of painting as it relates to still life. Landscape painters are fortunate to have the benefit of atmospheric perspective, still life painters have to make delicious space without it. Please tell me more. Your still life paintings are exquisite.

loriann signori said...

Hi Janelle, how kind of you to say that! I just keep working onward.