I have been asked by many friends and bloggers to document the birth of my new studio. So here it goes. Like everyone else I have spent years and years in tiny studios and pieces of rooms. Making it work that's what artists do. As my husband used to tease me, "the whole house is your studio." Yes admittedly you would find paintings in all different stages everywhere in the house. The living room always had at least 2. At one point the bathroom even had one. It's so good to view them often. It makes the solutions easier to see. My paintings have continued to grow in size to the point they don't fit around our small house, therefore it was the time to make the big step. A studio.
First we priced all kinds of ways to build...add on, pop the roof for an attic studio, portable shed, and then finally this idea. Make another building with re-used materials. I really loved the idea of having my work space separate from the house. I talked with my husband Paul and my Dad (who lives in the California) and Project Hope was born. It involved buying deconstruction materials from Second Chance. That helped make it financially possible. We would hire a contractor to build the exterior. And then Daddio would move in for 6 weeks to orchestrate the entire interior. He was amazing and worked tirelessly. My family and friends were the labor force (I can never repay everyone enough!)
I made the design based on my desires and what I could buy cheaply at Second Chance.
Full north light ans a loft for storage were the only mandatory things.
|Paul and Alfredo (he poured the concrete and dug the footings)|
The day the drywall arrived Dad and I learned that they drop it on the corner. Drop they did. Now I am not a big person, so after 4 drywall sheets(4ft x 8ft) I was pooped. My sister arrived and we did two more. Egad! We had 40 more to lift.
The team (sister, husband, brother-in-law, Dad and me) were there to begin installing the drywall. It was a comedy routine at first. We knew absolutely nothing. Measuring, holding and screwing them up....lots of practice and we got better. The 1st floor walls were easier then it became high. The ceilings are 22 feet. Enter Jesus and Jimmie and a huge scaffolding.
I must admit I had never done any kind of construction so I was in for a big surprise to learn that the major work is inside.The actual inside took about 6 weeks. Still there are things to be done..small things. Main thing is I am working in there. It's bliss. I wake up at 5 and walk across the yard, turn on the light and music and I am transported to an amazing space. I feel blessed. I work with out thinking of anything else.
The biggest thank you to the man behind project hope. Daddio.
The year of 2011 has been quite a trip, so much has happened. I can't wait for 2012!