Tuesday, March 13, 2012

spring equals yummy neutrals

10x14 pastel on watercolor
The use of compliments is an important tool for making delicious neutrals.  For pastels that means graying down a color in thin layers. I like to use the watercolor underpainting the make it happen quickly on the spot. In the studio I find that glazing in oil can be very similar.

Springtime is full of these beautiful colors. Enjoy the bounty!

In the meantime, a quote from Hans Hofmann,
In nature, light creates the color. In the picture, color creates the light.

10 comments:

Stinson Fine Art / John W. Stinson said...

Nicely done!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Scrumptious Loriann! I love this palette! I thought of you last week when I was at the beach watching fog come in over the sea and being pushed up over the Isle of Wight. It looked magical.

loriann signori said...

thanks John!!!!

Hi Lisa, I would love to visit your paradise one day. By looking at your paintings I am sure it is magical.

Donna T said...

Really nice, Loriann! Wasn't it fun to play with all those colors and not have to get the right green?

loriann signori said...

hi donna!
even the greens are neutrals! not for long as the temperatures rise!

loriann signori said...

Thanks Jala! I know you know tasty colors!

Anonymous said...

Hi Loriann,
My name is Polina, I'm from Toronto, Canada. I stumbled upon your blog purely by accident, while looking up Wolf Kahn's works on Google images. I absolutely love your paintings, and especially your concept of "quietude". I am just beginning to play around with pastels, and what you do with pastels and watercolours is a wonderful inspiration. Thank you!

loriann signori said...

Hello Polina!
It's so nice to hear from you! Thank you for all your kind words.You might also enjoy Richard McKinley's book on pastels. It's the best one out. it is he that taught me about the watercolor underpainting. It is a favorite of his.
Thanks for commenting...till later, Loriann

Celeste Bergin said...

thank you for the great quote...your painting is lovely!

loriann signori said...

Hi Celeste and thank you!