Thursday, June 13, 2013

define the search

If you want to grow you have to discard the urge to please.
If we, as artists, do not take chances nothing we do will ever be different or truly from the heart. We will continue to make pretty pictures. So one question is, why?

Experimentation has always been a big part of my work, but now as I sit back in my studio I see paintings that "try too hard." I, unknowingly have pushed myself into a corner of representation. Direction is foggy. So, as I crawl out I offer a thought.

Have you ever just sat down and looked at a big body of your work and wondered, "what am I doing?"   Define the search.

3 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

This is the way to approach clouds. Very abstract and undefined.

I feel you really have something here!

loriann signori said...

Thanks Casey. The passion to search through clouds is definitely there.

Donna T said...

Interesting thoughts today, Loriann. I have killed many paintings by trying too hard, or trying too hard to please a certain kind of viewer. Imagine being a chef and trying to please every customer every time. You would drive yourself crazy!

P.S. I've been feeling a little better and hope the trend continues!