Friday, June 7, 2013

Wolf Kahn and anti-fussy

14 x14 pastel
Oftentimes I get so frustrated with myself when I start getting too fussy. Those are the times I find myself copying nature rather than interpreting it.This will happen in the heat of a plein air event.
For comfort and inspiration  I was reading more WK and was struck by his words.

"Quite often, after working on a pastel for a time, I see that it is becoming ordinary and conventional, because I have planned and intervened too much. At this point it is useful to go over the entire picture with the back of my hand (not a paper towel or rag, they take off too much) What is left on the paper is a somewhat undifferentiated shadow of my original image. My earlier strokes have merged into a general murkiness that allows me to start afresh on the basis of a more natural undercoat."

I often do this- when I have gone too far and fussy. This is a good example. The finished painting is on top and below is what it looked like after paintings outdoors last week. I feel that the top one feels like fog because I used my memory, color play and a wipe of my hand.

6 comments:

Brenda Boylan said...

Great post Loriann. You provide a so many challenges for me through your experimentation with pastels. Thanks for the WK quote.

loriann signori said...

Hi Brenda!
I am glad you enjoyed the WK quote. He always says the right advice and so succinctly.

Donna T said...

Hi Loriann, my computer keeps eating my comments so forgive me if this is a duplicate. That is such a great quote. I wish I knew where the line was between 'enough' and fussy when I paint. I like what you did with your painting and you were brave to do it!

loriann signori said...

Hi Donna! Sounds like you have a hungry computer! I am glad that you persevered! You are right that line can be diffuse. I just tell myself if what I just put down doesn't add to the feeling it is taking away. That makes it a little easier, but not foolproof!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Beautiful painting and so suggestive. Leave it to WK to have the perfect suggestion to meet you at your own question marks.

loriann signori said...

WK seems to have many of the answers when I look. Thanks about the painting Kvan!