Thursday, August 15, 2013

I am back...sort of

Hi everyone!

After a long wonderful summer, that is not over yet, I am finally writing a new blog post. During this time I have been painting both in studio and outdoors...having fun with color. But now I know what I need to do next.
My reliance on color may be a small addiction, and may not be serving me well. Therefore I have decided to work in only black and white pastel, in large format (this one is 18x30.) I am moving back to getting the essence in all its wonderful nuances without color.
Of course I will still do some plein air quickies, but for the next  months I plan to do at least 75% of my work in black and white.
Hmmmmmmm. Let's see what happens.

8 comments:

Caroline Simmill said...

Hi Loriann, I will be looking in to see your black and white works, have you left the oil painting for now? This is a beautiful picture and quite large scale too.

loriann signori said...

Hi Caroline,
It's good to hear from you! I haven't left oil painting. I am still working on a couple I have in the studio...but I am trying not to start a new one till I work the BW out of my system. Thank you about the piece. cheers!

SamArtDog said...

Welcome back! I look forward to lessons learned in b+w.

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

I admire your dedication to following your own truth. You are an important mentor to me. Thanks for being real. As for me, I'm in a big slump. And I see a little glimmer of light on a distant horizon...I...am...crawling...toward it.

Barbara Benedetti Newton said...

I always read your blog with admiration and awe but today, I LOVE the black and white painting!

loriann signori said...

Hi Sam! It's good to hear from you! We'll see what happens.

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your kind words. We all struggle. It's good... or else you would be standing still (which is bad.) Maybe just look inside yourself...the answer is there. Sometimes we get really confused with so much great/good art available to us to see on the internet. it's an overload...sort of like going in the woods and having 10 paths to choose from and not knowing which one is leading you right. Hang in there!

Thanks so much Barbara!!!!!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Good to see you back, Loriann, even if "sort of." What a bold step to take, to go back to black and white, to find the bones of your work. This piece is so suggestive and subtle. Kudos!

loriann signori said...

Hi Kvan...back to bones, i like that! I figure if i can't make mood with black and white color won't help. let's see whta happens. thanks for taking the time to comment!