Monday, September 23, 2013

iridescent paints

When we put our work in the public eye, it provokes comments and questions. Right? Some we welcome and well others, we wonder. Last week when I was at the Chincoteague plein air event, I was asked many questions about my work. The most unusual was, "what kind of iridescent paints are you using?"
When I explained that it was soft pastel, with not iridescent paints, she didn't believe me. That led me down the road of explaining simultaneous contrast and layering.....a favorite topic of mine. I am still not sure if she believed me.
What unusual questions have you heard?





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Loriann, there is nothing quite like soft psatels to give this kind of effect through scumbling and layering. That's what I miss the most about using pastels.

loriann signori said...

Pastels really are a wonderful medium...especially in plein air. Thanks for stopping by Maggie!

Jala Pfaff said...

This is lovely.

I got a question once: (as the person looked at a subtle, but finished, painting of mine, in all neutrals): "So, this is what the canvas looks like before you start painting on it?"

loriann signori said...

Jala! We love our peeps, but never know what we will hear next. Don't take offense, none was meant. Just the case of different strokes, right?