Monday, December 2, 2013

Wolf Kahn on Hans Hoffman

oil painting, Hans Hoffman
Long ago, when I was in Art School I would set up a still life of scattered laundry using Hans Hoffman paintings as my inspiration. Hoffman's paintings were a guide to tell me where to place the colors of my scattered laundry pieces.
Hoffman was the teacher of many painters we know and love. Wolf Kahn was one of his students. Wolf Kahn use of color and love of the landscape amazed me. Today when I was browsing the internet I found this interesting interview. Here is a link to the PBS interview of WK in which  he speaks about his time as a student of Hans Hoffman.

Quote of the day-Hans Hoffman
"My aim in painting is to create pulsating, luminous and open surfaces that emanate a mystic light, in accordance with deepest insight into the experience of life and nature."

No comments: