Monday, June 13, 2016

Mountain Maryland Plein Air 2016


8x8 pastel
Wow! What a beautiful place and this year it was coupled with amazing weather. These week long plein air competitions are exhausting and wonderful at the same time. It's always nice to hang out with folks from your "tribe." It's the only place you can talk art 24/7 and not bore your friends. And best of all, your only job is to paint continuously.
The painting above, titled, sunrise in the valley, captured the feel of the moment. It has a watercolor underpainting and light pastel on top.
18x18 pastel
This one, titled exquisite stillness was a 4 day struggle. Finally the feeling I wanted to create evolved. I had to treat it like a studio painting and finish it with the back turned to the scene.  It was a good reminder to me to stop looking for the answers out there. They are in the painting.

skunk
One morning as I was painting and I heard a rustle in the grasses near my feet. Look what popped out not 6 feet away! I stayed as still as I could till he was far enough away to snap this photo. Plein air painting will always surprise you!
By the way........
Boy, was I happy!
Thanks you to my wonderful host family, the arts council of Cumberland, the many kind artists in the group that I got to know and to the judge Jason Sacran for seeing beauty in my work!

3 comments:

Sandig said...

Love all of your work and this painting is just lovely! The frame is very nice too. Where could I find a frame such as that.
Best to you.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Sandig!
As for frames I design my vision and my framer makes them specially.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Congratulations! Well deserved. It looks like it was a very productive and inspiring week.

Best wishes.