Friday, November 26, 2010

dusk and the nature of light

16x20 oil on canvas
Dusk is a time for close values. The sky is the highest value, although, depending when you paint, its hot color is quickly beginning to be neutralized. In this painting the sun is just below the horizon and the land is cooling. Right at that place where the sun has set  the sun has left its hot footprint. My husband looked at it and said, "It's blurry." Maybe it needs a sharper edge? I am not sure.  I guess I need some space from it.
From what I remember of dusk and light is that light makes the shapes and as light fades shapes do too. They are no longer sharply delineated. The next question is what makes a painting that you want to look at? Draws you in to its secret mysteries? That, I may always search to understand.

While I struggle with these deeper issues, enjoy some kitty pics. They are growing fast. Luchi is a total rascal and Baby is a lap cat.
two kittens in the curtains

baby

luchianna

6 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like Luchi has stripier Pippi Longstockings sox and Baby has more dicreet pale stockings. Good thing you've got the two of them so they can play with each other. Bad thing the two of them can more efficiently tear down the curtains.

Dusk is blurry. And beautiful.

Donna T said...

Loriann, I love the dreamlike feel of this painting! Hard edges might give it more of a sense of reality but that's up to you and what you are trying to say. Kittens and curtains ... rips and snags. :-) So cute!!!

helen said...

Like the plantings and the kitty.

loriann signori said...

Hi sam, you are right luchi has pippi stockings and baby is much more discreet. A very effective team they have made.Thanks about dusk...this weekend I have been studying the light and now have more possible ideas.

Hi Donna....you are right it depends on the message the feeling I want to give. hmmmmm. Thanks!

Thanks Helen!

Celeste Bergin said...

the painting is moody--love it! and the Kitties....WELL. They make me smile--so glad you have two of them..that's what I have too, two little "fluffernuttins" (stole that from u! haha)

loriann signori said...

Hi Celeste! Thank you about the painting ..I have continued to work on it and have improved it greatly..hopefully still keeping the mood. I will post it soon and please tell me if you agree. I am delighted that you share the love of fluffernuttins. I just love my kitties. I have 3 others as well ...a 19 year old, 8 year old and 6 year old. I guess I am a bona fide cat woman. Cheers! Loriann