Monday, December 29, 2008

Tempting Colors

10 x10 pastel and watercolor on Uart paper $100. plus tax and shipping
Back to another place I love....the reservoir. I have been asked many times recently; "why do you underpaint in watercolor?"
After this morning's work I made a list:
1. Watercolor can be massed quickly. I really like to play off a mass of color rather than white paper.
2. Watercolor has a beautiful translucent vibrancy. It is Richard McKinley (pastel god) who has challenged me to leave more of the watercolor visible in the final painting.
3. I like to underpaint with more intense colors than the finished product (again, something to play off of). With watercolor underneath I have more room to build color if necessary.

2 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Sally Strand also works pastel over watercolour. She uses it to underpin values and to enhance optical vibrancy

loriann signori said...

Thanks Katherine, I did not know that. Her work is absolutely beautiful.