Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Distant River and Sacred Moment (finished)


distant river:10x10 pastel and watercolor on Uart paper $100. plus ship and tax
sacred moment: 15 x 20 pastel and watercolor on Uart paper (commission)

I finished two pieces in the studio this morning. The top one is a plein air piece that I began last week on a warm afternoon at the river. The concept was grand distance; an idea that sits in my mind each day.
The bottom one I have posted before, but now I am finally satisfied.

I want to add a few of thank yous:
1. to Richard McKinley for his amazing blog-pastel pointers-see the link on my side bar. Whenever I am lost I go to that. This time his blog is helping me take better photos of my work. Thanks Richard!
2. to Casey Klahn, Rose Welty and Katherine Tyrrell all amazing artists who have recently posted great information about blog improvements (note my new format). Check out their link on my side bar as well. Someday I will learn how to insert links into text:-)

10 comments:

Jala Pfaff said...

Wow!!! Stunning!
By the way, do you have a favorite pastel brand? I have a Unison full set which I adore, especially because the colors just kill me, they're so great. I have about 20 Senneliers, but a lot of them have scratchy bits in them (esp. yellows and blues, it seems), which is very annoying. I'd like something a tad creamier than Unison--maybe in between a Unison and a Schminke. Are Terry Ludwigs somewhere in between?

Rose Welty said...

Thanks for the mention. Re links in text: In blogger, you can just highlight the text you want as the "link" (the underlined bit) in your post. Click the button with the globe and chain link (near where you add images) then paste in the URL.

Hope that helps!

You have beautiful work. Nice "intentions" for the year too.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Jala! I always appreciate your comments.
As for pastels- Unisons are divine! I couldn't live without them or my Giraults. Giraults are firmer than Unisons, have sharper edges, and are great blenders. The perfect pastel. If you have both you have a dynamic duo. I also have many Terry Ludwigs which I feel are similar to Unisons..but still different. I love his big green set. You're right, Senneliers do crumble in to little messes so easily. Therefore I rarely use them. I do have Schminckes-talk about buttery!!!!!

loriann signori said...

Thanks for stopping by Rose! I appreciate your very specific help. I will try the link method in my next blog.

Karen said...

I think the idea of grand distance clearly makes it into your work!
I like the edges in this one a lot, too!
And by the way, Thank You for posting about the blog stuff! It reminds me to keep on top of it...I liked looking at the links you had in there.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Karen!
I happy that you found the blog links useful.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for the mention, Loriann.

The Giraults are on my hit list - next to collect. I am busy making my own pastels, which definitely slows down the collecting process.

Also on my do buy list is a plan to fill out my mid value (pure tome) area in my palette.

Your art rocks!!!

loriann signori said...

I am only too happy to mention your wonderful, informative blog Casey- check it out everyone!
As for Giraults... the gray set is amazing- they have it on sale at Jerrysartarama right now although it's out of stock. (You can still back order it.)
Making pastels is fun and it's great to get that specific color you have been looking for but can't find. It is very time consuming though.
Thanks for the positive feedback. It's always good to hear!

Anonymous said...

MY FAVORITE ONE!!!!! love it :) You're the best!!!

loriann signori said...

Thanks Anonymous! I am delighted that you like that one.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!