Sunday, January 4, 2009

To Post or Not to Post That is the Question:Icy Potomac

about 4x7 pastel and watercolor on Uart paper
I have been thinking about my "vitamins" lately. The paintings I post run the gamut from outright "dogs" to definite beauties. It's a real mixed bag. I thought about whether I should post one that's not my best. Finally I decided that it is about process, rather than product. Painting is a discipline and constant practice is part of that discipline.
So here is the discipline. The temperature was 22 and a thin coating of ice kept freezing on my paper. Ice makes it really difficult to apply pastel. Usually I have my car heater nearby, not today. I hope these don't sound too much like excuses. Plain truth, I struggled through this one.

4 comments:

Brenda Boylan said...

This a beauty. You may think it is a dog simply because it was so cold, and all you could concentrate on was being warm. (Been there on a foggy cliff painting the shore with just a sweatshirt and jeans on. It took the rest of the day to warm up. The painting made it's way to the can, it was so bad. All I could think of when I looked at it was how cold I was.) This may be your case too, possibly. It has lots of mood to it. I say Keep it!

loriann signori said...

Thanks Brenda, that helps! Maybe it was the cold or the ice crystals or simply not getting what I saw in my head... Seems like you suffer from the same wonderful ailment-that is the need to paint no matter what. I'll keep it...for now. Process..right?

brian eppley said...

Please don't touch it. I can feel the temperature of the rocks and the warm distant light is a nice touch. I agree with B it's a beauty!

loriann signori said...

Thanks so much Brian. I won't touch it... in fact it's starting to look better already:-)