Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Other Cosmos

about 9x13 pastel and watercolor on Uart paper

Yesterday I had to drive to Virginia in order to visit my sister. I passed this awesome median strip covered in pink cosmos. Since then I thought about that strip for the entire day and night. So this morning, before leaving on my short trip with Leah, I knew that had to return and paint there. I love fields...especially with flowers. It's funny how you have to accentuate the color changes in the flowers or else there would not be a feeling of distance.

I close with this quote from Carl Sagan....the other cosmos. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
And now here's a link to cosmos, the flower.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Another strong composition and lovely work, Loriann. I especially like the curve of the land up near the top of the image. You have accomplished the suggestion of distance quite well with the flowers in the foreground. Well done.

Love the quote too.

Tina said...

I admire anyone who knows the names of flowers! I am fascinated upon my travels when I come upon a median such as this, so beautiful, makes my day. Thanks for sharing your experience so wonderfully.

loriann signori said...

Thank you so much Melinda! Glad that you liked the quote.

Tina, Hi and welcome to my blog. I am guess that maybe you too know flowers. Aren't those median strips awesome? I heard something along the lines that it all started in Texas with Lady Bird Johnson. She was responsible for the planting of all the wild flowers that coat the state by the roadsides. True? I am not sure . I think the idea simply spread. I love the way that, depending on the state and region you see different wonderful flowers.
Now let me go check out your blog.