Friday, September 25, 2009

Hope and Longing and the Mattatuck Museum



21x 27 pastel on oil underpainting

Right now I need to take off for a 7 hour drive to the Mattatuck Museum in Connecticut. I have the honor of having one of my paintings juried into the Connecticut Pastel Society's National Exhibition. Hope and Longing (above) is a picture with a strong emotional concept. I painted it last year in honor of my Mom who died 10 years ago.  While painting I listened to all her favorite arias. Funny how it made me feel closer to her. It began as a sad piece but some how hope wiggled its way in and it became a whole different thing.
Lucky for me I will also use it as an excuse to visit my brother and nephew. I hope to stop and paint along the way, of course!

10 comments:

Karen said...

Congrats on the show. It's a beautiful and bittersweet piece...like a tribute of sorts?

p.s. I grew up in Naugatuck...have been to that museum at different times over the years...small world!
I hope you get to paint while there (but maybe not in downtown Waterbury) :)

Janelle Goodwin said...

This pastel really does speak of hope and longing. Beautiful, Loriann. Congratulations on the show!

Katherine Kean said...

Congratulations on the exhibit and the painting that beautifully suits the title.

Double "D" said...

Knock em dead at the show. You deserve every accolade there is. You can really feel your heart and soul in this beautiful painting.

All the best Buddette,

Your painting Buddy

loriann signori said...

Hey Karen..I can't believe you are from Naugatuck! I too grew up outside Waterbury.We will have to compare notes one day. I must admit I love the grand view of Waterbury as you come upon it from 84 out of Danbury. My Mom was a Naugatuck native.You are right it is a bittersweet piece, a tribute to my Mom you was a wonderful person. She died way too young of cancer. I still miss her. Warmly, Loriann

Hi Janelle. Thanks you. I appreciate your thoughts.

Hi Katharine. Thank you. The painting really did name itself. Sometimes it just works out that way.

Hey Buddy! Thanks for your support. There are some amazing painters in this exhibition. I am filled with joy just to be part of it. It really is amazing that it is my Mom's piece that juried into this show. She would have been pleased.
Hugs,Buddette

Jala Pfaff said...

A wonderful tribute.
Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

A stunning tribute to your Mom and most importantly the relationship you shared. Congratulations on the show. I am sure it is packed with an emotional high for you.

Anita Stoll said...

This painting is filled with emotion.It speaks to me of beauty and love. Your mother must have been a wonderful person. Congratulations on the show from me also.

Brenda Boylan said...

Lorianne, this one really sings with emotion. Very beautiful. The play of cools and warms...just beautiful in every way.

loriann signori said...

Thank you Jala, Marianne, Anita, and Brenda! I appreciate your comments and am happy to hear that Hope and Longing shares that emotion.