Tuesday, November 3, 2009

three little piggies


8x8 pastel and watercolor on Uart paper
Articulate your color harmony. This blue skies and long shadows demanded a dynamic complementary color harmony: blue and orange. When choosing blue that meant I leaned all the violet shadows toward the bluer end of the spectrum. The fence in the distance  appears blue. The sky has the thickest and highest value paint and pastel than any other place. I tried to keep the shadows transparent.

This beautiful field, next to Lake Needwood is destined for sacrifice. Soon they will build 12 new homes, this, near the ICC. Sad. As I was painting I kept thinking of the three little piggies (the trees)  and the wolf  (the ICC.)

8 comments:

Double "D" said...

This has a great fresh feel. Really like the complementary color combination especially the light touch of orange on the background trees and the stunning blue in the foreground.

It's really sad when developers think only of there wallets. The freaking houses will probably sit vacant for months. The one positive out of all this is the wonderful collection of memories you've created.

Your painting buddy

susan hong-sammons said...

love this painting. It has a sweet sadness to it that so expresses the story behind this area. Glad you've been able to capture so much of it before it's all gone. Now this place will remain more than a memory.

Melinda said...

I'm so glad you are documenting this beautiful area. How I wish it could stop the development. Any chance your painting could do that?

It's a magical painting. I especially enjoy the contrasts and colors.

Hope you can do many more of this field.

loriann signori said...

Hi PB!
You should see this field..it's beautiful! I wish it would never go...right next to the lake too. Sad.
The color combination created itself; it was like I have no choice, it just was.
Thanks for your comment!
buddette

loriann signori said...

Hi Susan and Melinda!
Thanks for your comments. This is truly a beautiful area, adjacent to the lake. It is hard to believe houses will be there. I wish I could stop it.
I will return to this field.
till later, Loriann

Brian McGurgan said...

Wonderful contrasting colors here Loriann, and I love the texture in the sky and foreground.

Jala Pfaff said...

Ooo, what gorgeous colors here. Wow.

Development of pristine land truly sucks.

loriann signori said...

Jala, I really do wish I could stop all this craziness. Thanks about the painting1