Saturday, April 24, 2010

the more you draw, the more you see

12x 12 pencil on canson
 The land in this view  I would consider complex. So many layers of trees and rocks wind in and out from the water. My goal was to use a few lines as possible and limit any shading...thus making the space with line. I drew for about 3 hours. Beginning with a very light 2H and straight lines, gradually carving away at the land with selected lines and erasing. At the end I worked my way up to a 2B. It is amazing how drawing can be such a sensitive thing. Spending time drawing my chosen view really made me understand how the land is formed. The more you draw, the more you see. Now I will transfer the drawing to my panel and begin the grisaille.

6 comments:

Nika said...

Beautiful and thoughtful drawing, Loriann! that's what I like about the act of drawing, it makes you see and understand the underlying logic of every shape. At the end you come out with a different awareness and will never look at that familiar thing in the same way.

loriann signori said...

Thanks Nika!Drawing does have aspects of sculpture without the 3d. The sensitivity stage. You are right about it being a whole different awareness. I think I will always do a detailed line drawing before beginning a studio painting, just to feel deeper.

Nika said...

I like how you put it, "sculpture without the 3D":) I'll be sure to mention it to my sculptor husband, lol

Jala Pfaff said...

Very very nice. !!

loriann signori said...

heehee Nika.... I don't know if he will like it.

Hi Jala and thank you!

Karen said...

It's gorgeous.. just as is. I love the power of just line.