Wednesday, July 14, 2010

stop: just say what is necessary

9x12 pastel and watercolor on Uart
Our tendencies, and I am so guilty, is trying to say too much. Instead of adding to the feel of the painting it takes away. So now I am working hard to allow the underpainting to do more of the work. When I finish creating the underpainting my job is to respond to the underpainting. The scene is only the muse, the underpainting tells me what to do. Therefore this painting has a considerable portion of underpainting still showing.
I LOVE these three days of processing the workshop. All Richard has said is fresh in my head. Being out there in the field alone allows me to meet the information on my terms.
Richard, " The underpainting is the set-up. Accidents will happen, they can open doors to possibilities."

9 comments:

Julie Dunion said...

Hi Loriann, thanks for sharing these fascinating insights from your workshop. I am loving the lively works you are sharing with us. Reading your recent posts has really made me think about my approach and tendency to overstate. very helpful and very inspiring!

loriann signori said...

Hi Julie and welcome to my blog!!!!
I think we ALL overstate and we don't need to....but it's sooooooooo hard to hold back! I will check out your blog as soon as I have time. Thanks for dropping by my blog!

Lisa McShane said...

Great info from the workshop. And wow! That looks just like this area - you've really captured it: the light, the vegetation and those snippets of Sound & island views we get through all the trees.

Brenda Boylan said...

I am so pleased to read your insights and observations fro RM. You are such a great blogger, with much to say is such choice words. I'm curious how you were able to remember all that he says in the workshop? Do you write it all down, or just absorb and hope it sticks?

Pam Holnback said...

Looks like you opened the door and walked in.

loriann signori said...

Hi Lisa!!
Glad that you are enjoying the info. I am certainly enjoying the landscape and the workshop.

Hi Brenda!
All I have written so far is what I have absorbed. The act of writing it actually helps me too. Late I will begin to write some of the ideas I have written.

Hi Pam! Yes and it's great in here!

joanne said...

Hi Loriann,

I am enjoying your daily insights and paintings from your workshop. I look forward to your evening blog.

This painting is my favorite, so far.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Loriann, thanks for sharing your workshop experiences. Your work shows you are achieving so much from them. It reminds me how open we have to be at all times to new ideas and approaches. Richard's comments about "compromising reality" really struck a chord with me.

loriann signori said...

Hi Sheila! You are soooo right. Reality is really what we make it...a beautiful lie.