Tuesday, February 7, 2012

the pond

48x34 oil on wood
There is a small pond nearby. It obsesses me.
One evening I was there is was magic. That is the vision in my head. A violet layer by the horizon and orange/gold rising. The thing is nature is perfect. If you look closely, just look you see how the grays she makes mimic the violets she makes. There is always a relationship between the different areas in the sky to each other and to the land mass. You only need a handful of tubes to mix and you can make a array of color., without stepping away from the feel.
I can't seem to get  this painting to convey that feel. Maybe I need to change the format.

3 comments:

Donna T said...

I like this one and think you are so good at capturing that fleeting, luminous light. On my monitor it looks good in a square format too.

Liz Steinglass said...

I feel the color of the pond responding to the broader sky and the shape of the pond responding to the smaller violet layer. Water especially seems to have a relationship with the sky. I remember sometimes in HK looking out at the ocean and not even being able to tell where the water ended and the sky started. And in the fog or rain maybe there wasn't a clear boundary between the two.

loriann signori said...

hi Donna, that's funny...my next version of this one is square. I guess we think alike!

hi Liz,
I know exactly what you mean. I love it when it looks like that.Lines and separations disappearing ...just like in life. hmmm now that's an idea.