Friday, March 15, 2019

subtractive drawings and spider mums


Subtractive drawing is one of my favorite things to do. It helps me visualize feeling rather than thinking. These drawings are from my spider mum series. I am trying to respond to them as explosions of joy rather than any analytical interpretation. Spring is on the way after all.
These drawings are all large - 36x30. One of my galleries is doing a Georgia O'Keeffe tribute and I was asked to contribute. I first went to the National Gallery to look at her work. I don't want to copy it, as no one could do it better. I wanted to get into the essence. To me, Georgia simply made us look deeper at something that was small She made it grand.... that alone forces you to stop and see.
I am also working on some spider mum paintings, but right now the drawings say it best.

1 comment:

Double "D" said...

Just when I thought I'd seen all of your creativity and now this.
Cool.