Saturday, July 18, 2009

Kingfisher's Home at Sunset

6x6 pastel and watercolor on uart
watercolor glazed on top of a one color notan study
one color pastel pencil with water grisaille
After listening to a full day for Richard's amazing wisdom and having the time for one painting (post that another time.) I was not prepared to stop. I grabbed a bite to eat and headed for one beautiful slough (long bodies of water made to bring water to crops). This year Richard is teaching a method that uses the grisaille, watercolor and then pastel. Really cool for making values correct. I am working hard at color harmony (as always) and for this one done on my time I condensed and took out the sky. I will post much more Richard wisdom when I have time. He is AMAZING! I have been fornute to work with him for many years now. He always pushes me another step and then I can go back and work in the studio for a year....re-energized
The whole time I was painting the kingfisher was calling to his mate. This is for them. I love kingfishers!

4 comments:

Donna T said...

Nice sunset painting! I'm so glad you're having a good time out there and absorbing lots and lots of wisdom. Nice photo of you the other day!

Karen said...

These are looking fantastic as always. I hope you totally immerse yourself in the workshop! Aren't they so energizing to be able to concentrate on your work like that? I'd love to hear some Richard wisdom when you have time.
Hope you are thoroughly enjoying yourself!

Brian McGurgan said...

Nice to see the progression, here, Loriann, and the beautiful glow that you arrived at. Sounds like you're having a wonderful stay!

Jala Pfaff said...

Very nice. I love kingfishers too. what medium is the notan part done in?