Thursday, August 5, 2010

keeping the foreground forward

10x10 pastel and watercolor on UArt
When planning a painting it's important to think about your separate planes of space:foreground, middle ground and distance. There are many tools we have to show this space. In this post I want to talk a little about color, temperature and chroma. Now this is my favorite field, in a fog, that is just beginning to lift. The light was cool as it can be in fog. A painter needs to remember that even though the light is cool, the landscape bias is warm. I kept my underpainting warm, after I added cooler (and warm)pastel. But in the foreground I very purposely heightened the chroma, the temperature and the value of the colors. The reason was to make that space read front.
As Richard's words always ring in my head- orchestrate!

4 comments:

Donna T said...

Nice one, Loriann. It looks very well orchestrated to me and you have the simultaneous contrast thing going with the cool light and warm underpainting.

Sally Veach said...

I really like the abstract quality of this one!

Casey Klahn said...

I like the turquoise and red-violets; intense and radiant. Thanks for the generous lessons.

loriann signori said...

Hi Donna!!!
Thanks, I tried!

Hi Sally! Thanks you..I think abstract qualities come easier when you know a place. You stop painting it and find rhythms and shapes. What do you think?

Hi Casey!
I know you and color. I think We feel the same about it.