Sunday, September 12, 2010

memory dawn

8x8 pastel on canson
I have been studying the moments before the sunrises. Not painting it, studying it. Memorizing it is HARD....but it is the true essence. I long to play the memory game Whistler played with ease.
Finally today I allowed myself to take my distillation and put it in pastel. I have noticed the land is cool and dark and the sky is always the more neutralized version of color. One interesting thing I did not know. The colors seem to touch complements. What that means is as the sky moves higher the greyed yellow green touches a color that is pink violet . On the other side of that cloud it is violet grey and the sky has more yellow. Maybe it's just me. What have you noticed?

2 comments:

Sheila Vaughan said...

Loriann, I've noticed you are a damn fine painter - large or small, LOL!

loriann signori said...

Hi Shelia and a big thank you!!!