Friday, October 22, 2010

back to pastels- sunset

Ok, so I am back to plein air painting. Like an addiction, I can't stop. It's funny I have this little devil on my shoulder that tells me I have to do large oils. I guess when I figure out how to get what I want from the oils,  I will feel the same amazement and enjoyment. Alas....not now;-)
So today I was in a workshop with M.Katherine Hurley. I took this workshop because I have always loved Kay's work, both her oils and  her pastels. I thought I could glean some insights as to how to use the oils to create the look I see in my head. So, today, the first day,  I used pastels...go figure.
Below is the pastel I did during the class. Above is the one I did this evening quietly on the hillside, alone.
Long ago, Kay studied with Wolf Kahn for many years. She teaches with many of his methods. The most fascinating to me is "the jeweled ring." I will talk about that in another post...first I need to process....and sleep. Meanwhile, check out Kay's website.

6 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I love hearing about your workshop experiences. Thank you for sharing so generously with us watchers! Will you be painting with oil, too during the workshop? Staying tuned!!

loriann signori said...

Hi Kvan!
I am glad you enjoy reading about the workshops. This will be my last for a while. I am finding that I need a large amount of process time and am needed to move forward in my own head. I will try to move toward oils tomorrow. Dag, I just LOVE pastels! Till later!

Nika said...

The jeweled ring sounds very intriguing:) The painting on top is magical, I can sense your excitement.
I must say I feel the same way about your pastels, they are very immediate and to the point. Feast for the eyes. Oils, I just don't get the same "charge" from them. Not sure why.

susan hong-sammons said...

Fabulous colors and composition. They keep me looking and looking and your rich jewel-tone colors and values

SamArtDog said...

Though it feels presumptuous, I'll cut to the chase by calling Wolf, Wolf and Kay, Kay. I can see Wolf in Kay's pastels and also in her oils. Both are amazing, but not equally. Truth be told, I have to say that I prefer her pastels much more. It's probably my own prejudice, but I like how pastels' pigment seems more powerful and more daring.

The little devil may be yammering on your shoulder, but the little angel is in your heart. Listen to her.

loriann signori said...

Hi Nika,
Jeweled ring is for later...and I know you will like it. You are right , it was very exciting to return to plein air pastel. Still I know I can get the best of both...but I won't give one up at all.

Hi Susan and thank you!!! Autumn is a wonderful time to paint!

Hey Sam, leave it to you to call a wolf a wolf and a kay a kay. Pastels are more daring and the those little diamonds just shine. Kay's work, in person just glows!...oil and pastel. till later...