Monday, March 4, 2013

Antonia stikes again

monotype on BFK 9x9
 Why persist with monotypes when I have no intention of selling them or moving in that direction? I guess that main reason would be that the monotypes stretch me. I really have so little control that I am learning to simply go with the flow. A blob happens where I didn't want one, use it in a new way. The wipe didn't work invites a new approach. I find openings where I might have had frustrations. So this brings me back to the quote I published in September. Antonia, age 5, in response to the question, what is art? said:

"Art, oh that's when you make something beautiful out of paint or even recycled materials. Sometimes it looks like what's in your head and that's good. Sometimes it doesn't and then you change what's in your head. If it still doesn't look beautiful, you just take a deep breath."

All I can do is respond to the plate and breathe. Complete openness is the key.

7 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Sometimes just changing things up is enough to inspire you to an unexpected next thing. I admire how you continue to follow your curiosity. The monotypes are beautiful!

Donna T said...

Antonia is wise beyond her years. I hope she continues to be an artist! I love this one for its quiet simplicity.

loriann signori said...

You are so right Kvan. That is just what it is doing!

loriann signori said...

Thanks Donna. Antonia is definitely an old soul. I heard from her all the time.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

I had copied the quote from Antonia last time into my sketchbook. Wise words.
I love the series of monoprints and I would have said that your monos would stand well next to your pastels in an exhibition.

Caroline Simmill said...

Hello Loriann your monoprints are beautiful, the favourites are the ones you are using as a base for a pastel painting, though all are very lovely. I especially like your paintings of the skies in an earlier post the glow in the sky is breath taking. Keep up the good work.

loriann signori said...

Hi Lisa,
I have the words written down too. I love it when teaching comes from everywhere. Enjoy your journey!

Thanks so much Caroline! Thanks for stopping by, I have missed you!