Friday, September 10, 2010

underpaintings:colors

Two oil underpaintings. The underpainting is the set-up, it decides the most important things-value and feeling. A couple of things I know:
1. hard edges aren't your friend.
2. make this small statement have a full understanding of the value.
In these two I am playing with the color variable. This one is made in a kind of payne's gray -like color. I mixed ultramarine blue, cad red light and cad yellow to make the "perfect" gray-not warm not cold. I am not quite sure if there is a perfect gray. This underpainting is for an early morning painting...cool light. I think I will add a warm glow layer over it when it dries.
This one is painted in Shale, a color made by Vasari. It's a little warmer than my mix, nice for landscape. Tomorrow I will post a third, one made in "glow colors."

4 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Ooohhh these look interesting, I love the energy in the top one. Can't wait to see the progression.

Lisa McShane said...

I love your underpaintings. And that's a great line: hard edges are not your friend. Love it.

loriann signori said...

Hi Lisa L! And thank you! I am still working on that one...hang on it will be back!

Thanks Lisa M...you know about hard edges!

Jala Pfaff said...

I absolutely love this: the color, the form, the edges.